The Church of SS. Peter and Paul on Liverpool Road, Crosby, is a familiar landmark which has been the focus of worship and faith in the local area for more than 120 years.
Completed in 1894, the current building replaced an earlier one that had been constructed in 1826 and which was pulled down to make way for the present larger building at a time of growth and expansion. Bishop Bernard O’Rielly, the then bishop of Liverpool, blessed the foundation stone on the Feast Day of the apostles Peter and Paul, 29th June 1892. Two years in the making, the solid sandstone edifice has stood like a sentinel over the constant comings and goings, developments and changes in this area and community over the years.
The architects, Sinnott and Sinnott, also designed several other churches during that era in the Archdiocese of Liverpool, and the funding for the new church was greatly helped by the donation of £6000 from members of the Nugent family whose benefaction is commemorated on a plaque inside the church. Other benefactors are likewise remembered in the stained glass and decorated stonework throughout the beautiful and welcoming interior.
Countless people have contributed to the up-building of this church, not only in its material aspect but also in the fine liturgical, musical, pastoral and sacramental and social traditions of the life of the church. Their devotion and faithful support will always be appreciated. In what has become, over the years, a ‘family’ church for successive generations who have come here for baptism, weddings, concerts and celebrations, and finally to be laid to rest in its churchyard, Ss. Peter and Paul’s has been for so many a place they call home.
Parish Priest: Mgr John Furnival
Assistant Priest: Fr. Simon Cadwallader
Deacons: Rev A Johnson, Rev E Diggory, Rev T Rimmer, resident at 165 Liverpool Road Tel: 0151 949 1782
Primary School: Great Crosby Catholic Primary School, The Northern Road Applications for admission should be made to the Head Teacher: Mrs Pat Speed Tel: 0151 924 8661
Secondary School: Sacred Heart Catholic College, Liverpool Road. Head Teacher: Mr Ian Walker Tel: 0151 931 2971